Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

Going to college vs. joining the US Navy?

I just got accepted to a real selective program in Colorado. The program is a BSEE from the University of Colorado, Boulder and my family is trying to reason with me. The school also sent me an application for the Engineering Honors Program since my high school GPA exceeded 3.8 and my SAT was above 1350. I didn't think that I would get in so I enlisted in the Navy back in November. I signed up for an AECF contract and I'm in the DEP program.

Is it even possible to back out of the Navy?

I've always wanted to join the military but this whole news of me getting into a university surprised me. Could I change my contract to reservist?

• Mrsjvb

can you do NROTC while at Colorado?  that would be the best of both worlds.    if the Program/./offer comes with a full ride, TAKE IT

the Navy will still be there after you get your degree.  

You can’t change to Navy reserves if you are going to a college in Colorado Unless they have openings there. Does the college have NROTC? If so then look into that 

You can back out up until the day you leave. Write to your recruiter explaining why and that this is a chance of a lifetime. 

• ?

Your only option is if all those university possibilities pan out, such as the Eng. Honors Program, etc. is to write a letter to your recruiter telling him that you want to be released from DEP. Also giving the reasons. Don't ever expect to be accepted in the Navy again.