Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 2 months ago

In America, if a woman remarries, do her children also change their surname?

If the woman has custody of the children?

Favorite Answer

They don’t have to. My stepchildren didn’t. But their father was and is still a part of their lives. My niece on the other hand had divorced a man that turned to crime to support a crack habit. She moved back home and changed the kids name to her maiden name. I guess it just depends.

• The Football God

You are correct. What I was pointing out was she had the children's names legally changed from the father's because of his actions.
      What I was pointing out was there were options and choices. If she does remarry they have choices and options. Case by case choose wisely.

It depends on the situation of the remarriage.  In most cases the children would retain their Biological fathers name, even if the woman has custody of the children.  

Usually not. If the stepfather adopts them, they change their names. Each family has its own situation. Some children feel funny when their mom and (step) dad use "Smith" but their surname is "Jones". Some keep their bio dad's surname as a mark of love and respect.

Oh, yes. Yes, they do. Not just the surname. They also have to take the first name of the father....... even the girls. They also have to take the starsign of the father, and wear his clothes on public holidays.

• martin

No. They keep their surnames from the father.

• Lili

Normally, no. Why would they?

The only circumstance in which they do this is when the new husband legally adopts them, and he usually doesn't do that unless the children's biological father is dead.