Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Is it time-consuming to have a dog?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Very. I mean, even with cats, as much as they like routine and the same things every day, you can sleep in for an hour, leave them home, they come to you for pets and cuddles, you play with them for a bit, you're done. Dogs? HA! They thrive on routine and are more adamant about it. There's a saying: "Happy Daylight Savings Time to everyone, except dog owners."

Once you get it in your dog's head that this is how it's going to be, THIS is how it's going to be. My pup wakes up at 6am on the dot, so I do. He gets fed, taken out, taken back in, plenty of things to play with, down for a nap, up for a walk, more playtime, then dinner, more playtime, then sleep. This is his routine and for about 6-7 hours per day, I'm part of it somehow. Training, baths, bonding, all very time consuming, especially with puppies and adolescent dogs.

Don't get a dog thinking that it's going to lay like a rug and you won't be involved. The more time you put into your dog, the better the dog will be. It's not 24/7, all day, every day, no, but it is a lot.

• !Petals!
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

How do you have time for anything else?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Heck no! I keep me Basset Hound puppy in a crate 24/7. Only take him out to potty. He was the best ten dollars I ever spent. Thank GOD for backyard breeders! 

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Depends on the type of dog you have and their needs. Some require hours of exercise, some require intense grooming etc all of which can take up a chunk of your time. Then there's things like training and (ideally) being able to take them out on adventures so they're not just stuck in the same place all the time.

• ...Show all comments
    • kitty2 months agoReport

yes but some need more than others since there are some that learn a lot quicker than others 

• 2 months ago

----Yes to the extreme-----

Attachment image
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes. Money consuming too. Its very tough.But getting a smaller dog is less work

• 2 months ago

Not when the dog is part of your life. One must be a responsible dog owner & ready to commit to that dog. or don't get a dog.

• 2 months ago

Its pretty much like having a well behaved 3 year old, depending on what kind of dog you have.

you gotta feed them decent healthy food, make sure they get plenty of fresh air, exercise and sunshine. they need lots of attention and cannot be tossed aside or tied up outside because you are tired of them.

Some breeds are more needy, some are more independant. A basset hound(for example) thrives with lots of kids to fiddle around with but suffers if its just a couple of busy adults with no time for it.

• 2 months ago

Yes, there is cleaning up after them,training,exercise/play,feeding,medicating with preventives or other if they are sick,vet visits. It all adds up.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's a huge commitment.

• Scott
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Yes.  It can be.......

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.