promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Internet Provider?

My wifi only has about a 3mbps max for download and is as low as 17.5kbps for upload (for the record this is if noone is on the wifi but i even one person is it drops massively lower) idk about you but I feel like that is terrible but I was wondering if anyone knows why it could be that shitty? Like is it possible to pay for that bad of wifi or is he being lazy asf and not getting me a better speed?? Or do you think it might have something to do with the cabling? Or something else? 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Could it be possible that there are a ton of people using your router without you knowing? Check your router's settings and see the status page. Look for the clients page. That's a list of currently connected gadgets and devices. It may be only you at home using the connection but your neighbors may all be connected to you too.

To solve this you need to change two passwords in the router, the administrator's password (to enter the router's settings page) and the wifi password (to access wifi from the router). A third setting (optional but highly recommended) is to set the router to grant access only to certain devices (based on their hardware/MAC addresses). You will have to list all your devices' MAC address in the router for this. When done right, you ca be sure no one else uses your wifi connection unless they break into your house and push the reset button at the back of your router.

• Jesse2 months agoReport

Haha funny but helpful answer!😂😂😂

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • VP
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Internet "speed" is not normally measured by Wi-Fi usage. It's PROPERLY measured by using an Ethernet-connected device, first.  After that, you can take a 2nd measurement using a Wi-FI-connected device.

Why is that you ask?  It's because your ISP cannot guarantee what your Wi-Fi speeds will be due to a hundred different factors that affect Wi-Fi.  Using an Ethernet cable bypasses those issues.

So, tell us 2 things: 

- What your SpeedTest.net score was using an Ethernet cable

- What your SpeedTest.net score was using Wi-Fi (within 50 ft. of your router)

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

After having satellite internet I found that ping is the most important number.  The up and down speeds can be wonderful but the ping can make the connection stink.

• Jesse2 months agoReport

I love your answer thank you! But I dont have satellite wifi lol! Altho at this point thinking about it!

• P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Generally speeds that bad are symptomatic of a very old\cheap wifi router.  Purchase one rated AC1900 or higher.   It would be helpful to know what speed you are actually paying for too.  

• ...Show all comments
    • P
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Then it's probably an issue with your Internet Service Provider. My guess it's some ulta budget plan through the phone company.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

that's pretty bad, unusual that upload is faster than download though

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.