promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Spook asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Do they speak German Low Saxon or Dutch Low Saxon in Laar (Germany)?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Craig
    Lv 4
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

A person speaking German Low Saxon would have no difficulty being widely understood in Laar, or across the border. There are many who think of the Dutch Low Saxon dialects to simply be dialects of the same Low Saxon that appears in several dialects called "German Low Saxon" in Germany. Others claim that Dutch Low Saxon dialects arise from Dutch.

Rather than getting wrapped up in attempting to resolve that debate, or distinguish German Low Saxon from Dutch Low Saxon - it's best to just take the practical route and ask, can I be understood, or will I need a translator. If you speak just about any Low Saxon dialect, (Dutch or German), the man on the street and the clerk behind the counter in Laar will usually have no trouble making out what you're saying.

(Throughout that corner of Europe, differences in dialect or language - or even whether you CALL them dialects or languages - can sometimes lead to fistfights. The languages/dialects are all bound up with histories, wars, massacres, and boundaries, so discussing them almost always rankles someone's feelings. Best to just work around it, and stick with practicalities.)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The one near Coevorden? It legally belongs to Germany so everyone living there will speak German. Many will speak or at least understand Dutch.

Some may speak a lowersaxon dialect

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

i would guess they simply speak rural german 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.