Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 2 months ago

Is it not too late to start learning electrical and circuit engineering at 18?

I still have 2 more years of high school (due to unfortunate events) I got the Art of electronic for Christmas. And im planning to be a circuit engineer. Im already 18 years old and I heard about people couple years younger than me already assembling their own electronics and writing their own code. When did you start learning it? How hard is it? thanks for your time!

lmfao i go to a top engineering school and I have colleagues who barely know what they are doing despite being in higher level courses. You need not worry about anything.

Not too late. Just study hard, all the math and science you can get.

• Zirp

If it's your calling, go for it

electricians are in short supply where I live, and will be for years to come

You are not too old to learn Electronic Engineering. I started at 24. Take a vocational aptitude test at the local library and find your strongest field then go to school and degree in that field. It will be your best path to a degree.

You can slide sideways into almost any other field after you get your first degree If you wish to. It will help tremendously if you brush up on your math skills. One place to do that is to go to Khan Academy.org and start going through all of the videos on math> algebra> calculus and physics.

Most people graduate with a Bachelors or Masters in Electronic Engineering and a minor in Math. It is difficult but if it is among your strongest fields, you can do it.

• qrk

When I went to college (when 7400 logic was king) many kids had little knowledge of electronics going in to the engineering program. Some excelled, some had a hard time.

I'm glad to see you got a good book to learn from. Often, people think electronics is programming. Far from the truth. When I design digital boards I'm actually thinking about the layout in terms of RF analog electronics because of the the fast edge transitions. If you get a good grasp on analog electronics (especially Ohm's Law), it will be immensely helpful when you start designing and making real circuits, even if you specialize in the digital realm.

As for people younger than you putting together an Arduino-like system, that doesn't take much effort. That's like designing with Legos. If they built up their little micro from scratch, that's a different story (way more impressive).

Since you have down time due to things being shut down, learn to build amplifiers from opamps and transistors. You can buy little breadboards and discrete parts from Digi-Key and Mouser. For $100, you can learn a lot. Getting an Arduino can teach you about coding micros, a useful skill. Learning some sort of language (C or, dare I suggest, Java) on your computer is also a good thing. Heck, even learning Basic will be helpful.

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

I concur. I started out with discrete logic in the 60s and moved into ICs in the 70s. Got a BSEE in "digital electronics" and only LATER found the usefulness of linear/RF issues (e.g., slew rate on MOSFETS in the Amdahl 470 and waveguide characteristics of 30 AWG twisted pairs, etc).

I started learning and playing with it when I was 13 years old. Built the most simple radio ( one diode without the need of electricity power ) at 14.

It is hard for people to study and master it , whom have no interest to electronic.

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

I was doing digital logic with transistors in the 60s. Even got "computer merit badge" in 1968.

sure there are 6 year olds that can do anything..but i could be 52 and still think its a good time to learn something new

Go for it, kid! You'll be just fine! It's not about me, kid...but I have a GED. Everyone was older than me. I went to college and later got an MBA. When you get into your 30's, no one cares how old you are or where you went to school or how you got it. RESULTS matter.

You mean to ask is it to early?