promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

My dog won’t eat dog food, please help!?

My dog prefers to eat vacuum cleaner contents and drags knickers out of the washing basket than the most expensive dog food

We have tried every dog food there is, wainwright’s, step up, Harrington’s, even cheap food from Tesco, and pouches of meat in gravy, we have tried cooking rice with gravy, removing all treats and he has never been given human food

He will go for days without eating rather than eating the food, we have tried adding water to soften dry food and even microwaving it so it’s warm but he just sniffs it and walks away

Any suggestions? Please help we are getting worried

Update:

We have tried to ring multiple vets and all of them are closed due to Coronavirus 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Honestly you can give him medicine which will make him hungry af

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Use a shock collar. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Who cares mate. Worry about coronavirus.

• Joe2 months agoReport

yes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lauren
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Is your dog's weight normal? Has the dog lost weight? Does your dog have normal energy levels at home? Assuming you have a normal, healthy dog, the dog will not starve itself. The more foods you try, the longer the dog will hold out for something better. The dog senses your own stress about meal times and this can create issues as well. Stick with one brand of dog food and do not add anything to it. Again, this is assuming that your dog is not actively losing weight. 

What is really worrying me is that your dog is eating knickers. If knickers get stuck in your dog's intestines, loss of appetite is possible if he ends up with an intestinal blockage. 

• Amber
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

This is BS. Vet are giving phone consultations and this has obviously been going on a for a while. If not, go back to what you were doing before. A dog doesn't starve itself. It's either seriously ill or you're attention seeking. None of what you say rings true, especially about the vets being closed. They are doing phone consultations. 

• 2 months ago

A dog will not starve itself to death if there is food available. Choose a good brand & put it in the dogs food bowl. When the dog gets hungry enough, it will eat what is available.

It may take 3 or 4 days but the dog will eat when it is hungry enough.

My dog got used to having canned food smeared all through her kibbles. I was feeding a sick dog that wasn't eating, that dog died but it took 4 days for her to eat what was in her bowl. Now she has tricked me into giving her treats after she eats, hands up in the air. The things we do for our dogs & all the ways they train us.

• 2 months ago

Yes, try raw meat. A raw-meat based diet is the natural diet for dogs and the only really healthful diet for them. You can look online about how to implement this. My sister uses a raw meat diet called the Volhard Diet for her dogs; she's used it for years with many dogs and they've done very well on it. They have a couple of kibble products that you add to the meat etc.

• Bob
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

So you thought you’d visit a stupid website instead of going to the vet?

• Mrs. Frankenstein
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I would love to help, but you have me blocked, so...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.