Dan asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Should I put both my legal name and my pen name on the title page and cover of my book?

Favorite Answer

Just your pen name, otherwise why bother with a nom de plume?

Just use your pen name , Diaper Dan.

The whole purpose of a pseudonym is that the author not reveal his or her identity, so no, don't do that. If your real name is there, the pen name appearing makes you look pretty stupid and fully unprofessional.

If you were seeking commercial publication, there are places your real name needs to appear, but self-publishing, no. The platform on which you self-publish will need your real name to process payments, though.

Only if it's an autobiography.

• Andrew

That'd be 35% of your word count right there. 

The entire fecking point of having a pen name is so the author doesn't have to attach his or her legal name to pieces of writing. 

What's the sense in having a pen name if you're going to use your legal name anyway? That's a bit like robbing a bank in a balaclava while wearing a T-shirt with your own goddamned face plastered across the front. 

I'm honestly left to wonder whether or not this endless stream of imbecilic questions is actually your attempt to push the envelope and lower the bar of stupidity that you set for yourself here. 

How could anyone - even a severely troubled, barely literate youth with crippling psychological issues such as yourself, not know what a bloody pen name is and what function they're supposed to serve?

Seriously now, Dan, you really are a total and complete fecking buffoon of the first order, boyo. 

I would just go with the pen name.  I would also set up an LLC and a business account under the pen name.  That way if anyone sends royalty checks to your pen name you just cash it.