How are restaurants affected by coronavirus in the US?

What does it say about McDonald's if at noon yesterday (Monday) there were only 3 cars in the parking lot? They all belong to employees and there were zero customers at drive thru. We closed our dining area so we only have drive thru and delivery options. Even walk in take out is eliminated.

If you're a restaurant worker, please include your story in your answer.

Favorite Answer

In  many  places, including here in Colorado, restaurants are closed for dine in and only open for delivery or drive thru. With stay home orders, there isn't a lot of traffic.

private company are def getting injured. I am happy to have left the eatery business a half year sooner to the entirety of this and find a state line of work that is pays way better. It was a surprisingly beneficial development I presume. Its tragic passing the bustling road where my café was and see no ppl out.

small business are def getting hurt. I am glad to have left the restaurant business 6 months earlier to all of this and get a state job that is pays way better. It was a blessing in disguise i guess. Its sad passing the busy street where my restaurant was and see no ppl out. 

Right now eating out is like killing yourself. so most of the restaurants are closed

I dont want other ppl touching my food or coughing and sneezing g not washing hands

Some are suffering and some are benefitting. I was at a Sonic the other day- their model has always been take out, and they were very busy. However, more expensive restaurants are certainly not doing as much business, even though they are offering pickup and delivery. The lines of cars at Chick-fil-a seem to be very long- if your McDonald's isn't doing much drive thru business, that's strange. 

• Erik

I would say people are just going out less.  I work at Domino's, and for us it's pretty much business as usual, except it's slower, especially on the weekends, traffic is much better, and we closed our carryout area (which is fine with me, I don't make money from carryout customers).  Also people are tipping better.

• Bob

In most of the US . restaurants are closed but takeouts and delivery remained open,but you can't dine in

u.s. restaurants closed but takeouts and delivery remained open

• Tavy

In the UK Every McD closed last week, no drive through at all.

It will be coming to you.