Why are Atheists so hypocritical about homosexuality?

Atheists want to project an image that homosexuality or bisexuality is ok. But most of them would take offense if you called them gay. Besides let's suppose your opposite sex boyfriend or girlfriend was bisexual. Most of you wouldn't be happy to see him or her with a same sex person hooking up. Now let's suppose homosexuality became totally normal and people started practicing it on a large scale. How would society look like then and why are Atheists so hypocritical?

Favorite Answer

You’re making the assumption that atheists get insulted by the same things that upset you. That’s not a valid assumption. A violation of the trust in a relationship is a violation no matter what sex is involved. Would you be happy if your opposite sex partner had an affair with someone the same sex as you? According to your logic you should be perfectly happy about that since you support heterosexual relationships.

No straight person would ever assume that everyone would turn gay if being gay were accepted. Straight people know full well that acceptance of gays wouldn’t suddenly turn them gay. Only closeted gays who have to fight their desires every day would think that.

• MARK

Oh dear, here we go again. These same old same old rubbish from theists. If someone said to me you are [insert a sexuality] I would not be offended. I may correct them. It would depend on the circumstances. If someone shouted at me, 'You are [insert a sexuality]', and it was intended to be an insult I should do what is best with such infantile behaviour. I would ignore it. It is always best not to encourage fools.

It does not matter what one's sexual orientation is nor that of one's partner. However, if your trust in your partner is violated you are entitled to be hurt and upset.

For the record: People who do not identify as heterosexual are not all promiscuous or dishonest. That is just a bigotted notion held by the ignorant.

But most of them would take offense if you called them gay

- And fundies take offence when you call them monumentally stupid.

• Tony B

Being an atheist has NOTHING to do with having opinions about or commenting on homosexuality. It's not something I've thought much about but I don't believe that atheists and Christians feel much different about it.

I would be inclined to take offence at anything you called me if you meant it as a term of abuse- it's like I have very little hair left and I wear glasses. I have no problem with this and wouldn't mind at all if you mentioned it. If you shouted “baldy” or “speccy four eyes” at me though I would take offence, which would be what you intended. 

If you called me “gay” or a “negro” or “Jewish” my main reaction would be surprise, because I'm none of those things.I wouldn't be “offended” though because, to me, those aren't “bad” things to be.

I don't think I ever projected “an image that homosexuality or bisexuality is ok”. I am not interested in a person's sexuality and it's not for me to say what's “ok”. I'm afraid that people being different to me just doesn't bother me. I don't have this obsession with homosexuality that you seem to.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I wouldn't be “happy to see” my “opposite sex girlfriend” having a sexual relationship with anyone else, regardless of gender.

If most people were homosexual (which is what you postulate towards the end of your post) then obviously you would find yourself in the minority. If that happened then I hope you wouldn't criticised for your sexuality.

I don't see anything”hypocritical” about that.

"Now let's suppose homosexuality became totally normal and people started practicing it on a large scale"

Kid, I am not the least bit interested in doing homo.

Why are you so tempted.

I'm always a bit suss about homophobes.

~

My atheism reflects my lack of belief in gods. That's it. Atheism has nothing to say about the weather, other people sexuality, science, cookery or folk singing. The ONLY thing atheists say in common is "I personally do not believe gods are real". Of course atheists, just like all believers, have other opinions on other subjects. We are all human so we are bound to have views on other aspects of life. The ONLY thing atheists agree on is "I personally do not believe gods are real". I am sure there are gay atheists just as I am sure there are gay christians. If you have a problem with that, it is appears to be unrelated to atheism.

Where do you live? Iran? In my society homosexuality has become totally normal and people have started practicing it on a large scale. Society looks like it does now. I can't make an unbiased and uncontroversial opinion about what society looks like now. 

What I can say is that less people are religious, more people wear bright colors like hot pink shorts and rainbow shirts. More people SEEM to be more concerned about their appearance such as wearing good clothing and being clean shaven. More people are open about their private life, emotions, sexual orientation etc. 

Not all atheists are the same so we shouldn't stereotype. Many atheists are hypocritical but is that such a bad thing? Sometimes we should treat things differently depending on the circumstances. Should everyone have the same amount of money for the jobs they do? Is everyone equal? Maybe not. Maybe women should be payed more than men in some jobs and men should be payed more in other jobs. Some people are doctors and other people are cleaners. 

Most partners in the Western World cheat on each other and have high divorce rates. People are no longer satisfied being married to one person especially if they don't satisfy their partners sexually very well. E.g. Having Erectile dysfunction or a woman being unable to have children. 

Source(s): Orthodox Jew

Don't care what God you believe in if you don't bother me with it. Don't care who your "mate" is if you don't bother me with it. This is pretty simple, eh?