Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 months ago

When do you think the COVID-19 pandemic will be over? To be specific, in America?

Hopefully, it ends soon. As a senior in high school, I am very afraid I won't get prom or graduation. But, I do not think it will last as long as Trump is saying it is going to last (August I have heard). What is your guess?

Favorite Answer

I am optimistic about May. Modern science has been having decent success with limiting severe contagions. The Ebola and H1N1 outbreaks were preventing from being massive killers. An approved vaccine is a long way off but other medical procedures could be discovered to end the shelter in place safety requirement.

en estados unidos es mas dificil que termine ya que tiene muchos contagiados y muertos pero si tu y tu familia y todos los conocen se quedan en su casa tal vez pronto

I think restrictions will loosen up by mid May. Don't listen to those people saying 1-2 years they are dumb *******

Probably not for a year or more. When a vaccine becomes available, we might see a slowdown. But that won't happen for a while.

• Laurie

It will take about a year to disappear altogether. We will probably be sheltering in place for 3 months.

And... I NEVER listen to Trump.

It will last as long as it lasts.

Essentially, that's until we have a way of dealing with it. The end points:

-- humanity develops a strong resistance to it

-- vaccines are produced widely and cheaply

-- the virus mutates to something harmless

So, probably six months minimum when it "burns" itself out (September or October, but probably December or February next year or about a year (February/March) when the first effective vaccines will become available.

Proms and graduation ceremonies are not very important.

• L. E. Gant

The current method of vaccines suggests that the cost depends on the number of people who need it. With billions needing it, cost recovery will be fast, hence the vaccine becomes cheap.

I think you can forget about both prom and graduation. (But graduation ceremonies are boring and prom is way overrated.) There just aren't likely to be any large gatherings (except for people stupid enough to be going to these big church services) for the next few months. Unless warm weather breaks the grip of this coronavirus (as it does every year for the flu), this coronavirus epidemic could go on for months until we have a vaccine or a large percentage of the population has had the virus. Life as we know it has been suspended for awhile.

• Lib2 months agoReport

Churches are no longer meeting, it’s all online services for me.

Can't say, unless a vaccine is found in record time. Your graduation will most likely be postponed, people are suffering and all you can think about is your ceremony SMDH....