If my employer requires me to check my temperature at the start of every shift, can I refuse?

Because of the pandemic, my employer is considering having all employees take their temperature at the start of every shift.

I feel this is invasive, especially if I'm not exhibiting symptoms. Also, not all patients with Covid-19 have fevers, so its not exactly an accurate way to try and screen.

I've researched and found that this practice is permissible, but I'm curious as to whether or not I can refuse? Could I be disciplined or fired for refusing (I live in NV, an at-will employment state, so technically I could be fired for anything...)? Also, can my employer require testing of customers?

Favorite Answer

You can refuse. You can be fired FOR CAUSE if you refuse.

Note: Under the orders from some states, you employer may be legally REQUIRED to insist everyone reporting to work have their temperature checked before being permitted to enter.

It IS invasive because it is a violation of your private health information which is protected . Any medical professional CANNOT share your private medical information such as your temperature with your employer without your permission. It is protected federally under HIPPA. So the company can require you to have your temperature taken as a policy and you can require than your temperature cannot be documented or shared with your employer. So you could still comply and still not allow the information to be shared....so in the end it would be no benefit to your employer.  It's not about being selfish, it's about the fact that health privacy is YOUR right to share and it cannot be compelled against your wish.

• ?

ONLY IF you start asking everyone you get within 6 ft of to do the same thing. 

If you're worried about accuracy, insist on a rectal temperature.

• Nuff Sed

Maybe they'll keep a central suppository of the collected information.

Sure you can refuse.  He can then send you home and tell you to stay here until you agree to have it checked, or fire you on the spot.

In an at-will state, you can be fired for NO reason. So, go ahead and give them one.

Yes, the business can require testing of anyone that sets foot on their private property, as long as they don't go about it in a discriminatory way. Customers have the right to refuse and go somewhere else.

• Eva

Pick your battles carefully. Having your temperature taken is not unreasonable and not invasive. They are doing it for your safety and everyone else's. In theory your employer could require testing of customers. The airlines already do it.

Yes, and you can stay home from work that day and not get paid. And if you do it often enough he can consider you to have quit.

• Jas B

I would fire you if you refused to take a measure which would help to protect your fellow workers.

Then if necessary go to any court or tribunal and justify this and I am pretty certain I would win, even in a State or country where employees had protections.

"taking your temperature invasive"

Stop being a moron

A lot of places here are using forehead scanners

• Nuff Sed

The question isn't about that.It's about whether the employer can require it.