What kind of specs should you look for in a set of headphones to determine audio quality?

I want to get a new set of headphones and I want them to be as good as possible. The problem is I don't know what to look for in a pair of headphones in order to determine the best audio quality. The only reliable way I know to see the audio quality is to just put on a pair and listen. But I'd like a way to gauge the quality just by reading the specs. So what should I look for?

The number one thing is flat frequency response.   

No speaker or headphone has perfectly flat response, 

and it is unlikely that any ever will, but the flatter the better. 

Another characteristic that is highly desirable is linear phase response, 

but you won't find that among the specifications for any common headphone. 

If you can get a hold of the frequency response of the headphone, then you have a good idea of how good it sounds. The frequency response should be relatively flat from 20-20Khz, with no noticeable or drastic peaks or valleys.  The best headphones are the electrostatic variety, but they can be quite expensive and they require a separate amplifier to power them. Together the 2 pieces of equipment can cost over $1,000.

If you can settle for less than the absolute best, I recommend the AKG dynamic headphones. They are famous for being the headphones used by audio engineers in music studios.