promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Ben asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Can Trump make English the official language of the United States?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

But if he did that, he'd have to learn English himself.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

No he doesn't have that authority.

• 2 months ago

aren't the official languages english and spanish

• 2 months ago

Oh, It's not?  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mike W
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, not unilaterally.  He can suggest it, and could even draft legislation to make it happen, but like with everyone else, who can also write a bill, it has to be sponsored by someone in Congress, and go through all the same channels that every other bill goes through.  

• 2 months ago

Not single-handedly.

• MARK
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Your question is in the wrong forum because this is not a language question but a question about government. I do not know enough about the US government to know if this is a federal or state matter. If it is a federal one I do not know if it is within the executive or legislative fold.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That would be a violation if the first amendment. Everyone in america has the right to freedom of speech, which includes the right to speak in whatever language best suits them.

• ...Show all comments
    • MARK
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I do not believe it would violate the first amendment because it would not remove the freedom of speech. It is simply impractical for government to offer someone the possibility of doing things in any language. Setting an official language as English would simply make a de facto reality into law.

• 2 months ago

There's no reason for him or anybody else to do that .. Most who have a need for English 

speak it at least conversely, plus would encourage monolinguals to act entitled / stuck-up.

Source(s): I'm fluent in three languages including English, conversant in a forth and know phrases/words in others. Among those wanting to make English the official language, good luck finding any with such qualifications / ability.
  • Phil
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Hopefully.

But many US States already have English as the Official Language.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.