promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Ashley asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

How can I train my puppy to pee outside?

I have a puppy and when I don't take notice of her, she usually pees on my rug which is annoying. I want to train her to pee outside. Any advice?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

take out puppy every couple hours. When she pees, give her a treat. Do this repeatedly.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Have scheduled short walks throughout the day, she will learn in time

• 2 months ago

just take her outside every few hours or so and scold her if she pees inside. soon she will learn she has to pee outside. my dog scratches on the backyard door when he has to pee and we just let him pee out there. 

• Chanel
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

As soon as the puppy pees say a loud no and take her outside. Then say the word PEE. You have to do this many times and eventually it will work and when it does you give her a hug and a kiss and her favorite treat.

I agree also with the answer about the puppy pee pad.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • J M
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Look up house training. Chances are your pppy will not be house trained for at least six months

• 2 months ago

You just need to get on google & enter 'How to potty train a puppy?', How to house break a puppy?

You should also do some research on teaching the pup not to bite. google 'stop puppy from biting'. These are the two first things a puppy must learn. All the information you need is online.

You need to keep her in your sight at all times to be successful at potty training & you MUST be consistent. Not being consistent is the biggest problem in potty training a puppy.

• 2 months ago

Take her outside often...

Every hour, after meals, after waking..

Praise for going outside.

Supervise her indoors and watch for cues that she is thinking about peeing.. Circling and sniffing, etc.

Crate when you cant supervise

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

"when I don't take notice of her" so you should be annoyed at yourself as you can't ignore a pup especially when you are training it and training is all the time the pup is awake

After waking after feeding, after play and every hour or so inbetween you take the pup outside and stand silently and wait for her to toilet, as she is toileting you say a command word  like 'clean' , so she attaches the commsnd word to the action she is doing.that way not only do you teach her to toilet outside after a week to 10 days you have also taught her to toilet on command which is very useful for her whole life

• 2 months ago

So take 'notice of her'.    If you have ever used pee pads, this is why she's doing this as she has no concept of not emptying indoors.    Even if not, YOU have to watch her 24/7 and when you can't (who can!) confine her, best using a crate but other than overnight, only for a few hours when youi must get other things done.

It's going to take WORK and how quickly a puppy learns this, depends totally on how persistent and consistent you are with this training.   When she wakes from a nap, take her outside IMMEDIATELY.  After short period of playing you'll notice her break off and either circle, or just go to squat - OUTSIDE!!   When she's had a meal - OUTSIDE.   Give her a ton of praise when she does empty outside, correct ONLY in the act and clean up her mistakes, whichi there will be with puppies, without comment.   She'll be watching and noting your body language.  Dogs usually want to please their owners so trade on that.

Overnight, for now, you will need to take her outside at least once until she's big enough to physically be able to hold.   And use a crate for overnight, alongside your bed for now.

With a bowel movement, she should only be emptying as many times as the number of meals she's having now, maybe plus one more.  Assuming her stools are normal.

• 2 months ago

Rub her nose in it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.