Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 2 months ago

Brest lump? ?

I have found this lump on the top of my left breast. It feels sore when I press down on it. I’m supposed to get my period in 5 days but I don’t know if that’s the cause. I am 18 and it’s scaring me that it’s only one of them.

Don't panic, there are lots of different causes of breast lumps, and it's possible that hormones can have an effect, since breast changes can be brought about as a physical symptom of PMS.

Some other different causes include:-

- an infection, such as mastitis

- adenoma (a benign tumor caused by gland like structures)

- fibroadenoma (a benign tumor caused by glandular and connective tissue)

- a cyst (a fluid filled sac in the breast which feels rubbery in texture)

- fat necrosis (a lump of dead breast tissue, which can be caused by some kind of trauma such as breast surgery or radiation)

- lipoma (a benign tumor made of fat tissue)

- abscess (a build up of pus, usually caused by an infection)

- breast cancer

- Intraductal papillomas (wart-like growths that develop in breast ducts)

I would very strongly recommend that you see your GP doctor as soon as you can. They can help you, or they may refer you to a specialist to have a mammogram or ultrasound scan done. While in many cases it's not a big problem, breast lumps can be caused by something which is serious, which is why ALL breast lumps MUST be checked out.

Hope this helps.