promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

how does MPG on cars work?

if a car gets a gas mileage of "13 city / 18 highway" does it get better gas mileage than a car with "15 city / 25 highway?" please help im tryna understand gas mileage

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Average gas mileage is what you are asking about. The higher the numbers average, the better the fuel mileage.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's pretty self-explanatory. "MPG city" and "MPG highway" are estimates of how many miles you can expect to drive on one gallon of gasoline when you're driving in stop-and-go city traffic versus the miles per gallon you can expect when you're driving in highway traffic without a lot of stop-and-go.   

Most cars  always get better  overall gas mileage when they're being driven on the open highway at a steady speed, than they do in city traffic.

• F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Of course higher is better for mpg but sometimes it is expressed in litres per km (obviously not in the metricphobic US ) when low is better.

• anon99
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

More Miles less gallons

my Mercedes Benz 1954  220 gave me 38 milet to a Gallon after I changed the Main jet

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

No. Higher is better.

• M.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Maybe you don't understand miles or gallons or mpg (miles per gallon)?

The HIGHER the number, the better.

If you can go 25 miles on one gallon or you can go 18 miles on one gallon, which is better?

• Scott
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Simple English must be difficult for you. Yes, 15 miles per gallon is (marginally) better than 13 miles per gallon.

• 2 months ago

Those are just hypothetical averages based, sometimes, on a computer model. Weight of car, type of tranny, engine displacement, wind tunnel spec's, and so on. Real world can't be predicted since they don't know if you're one of those people who lets your car engine run for 20 minutes before you go anywhere or leave the engine running while you go shopping, or how many stop signs or stop lights there are in your area or how fast or slow your drive or accelerate, and most statistics on highway miles per gallon are still based on a highway speed of 55 MPH. For every 5 miles per hour faster than 55 MPH, the air resistance spikes a lot and your MPG's drop significantly. People who drive 70-80+ MPH will never see the estimated MPG's.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

what is hard to understand?  Lets use extreme numbers here. 6 city/8 highway means I get 6 miles to the gallon of fuel in the city and 8 miles to the gallon of fuel on the highway.

Now my other car gets 60/75 means I get 60 miles to the 1 gallon of fuel in city driving and 75 miles on the highway on 1 gallon of fuel.

Your fuel tank size is the limiting factor.  Mine is 10 gallons so in one tankful I can drive 750 miles before I run out of fuel.

Highway is always better than city driving because there is no stop and go driving as it is high gear all the way.

Braking takes away from fuel economy.  With all ICE cars.

• ...Show all comments
    • fodaddy19
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

A properly running engine doesn't "waste" fuel. Some engines simply require more fuel than others to operate 

• 2 months ago

What's there to understand? A car with a high MPG rating will go further on the same amount of fuel than a car with a lesser MPG rating

In your example. Car A  can travel 13 miles per gallon of fuel in city driving and 18 miles per gallon of fuel on the highway.

Car B can do 15 miles per gallon in the city and 25 on the highway.  If you were to put 10 gallons of fuel in each car.  The range of Car A would be about 130 miles in city driving and 180 miles on the highway.  Car B could go about 150 miles and 250 miles respectively.  In this case. Car B would be more fuel efficient.

It's literally basic math.  

• Oslay2 months agoReport

ok thank you man i really didn't understand. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.