It is grammatically wrong to say I am liking this book?

• Cogito
    Favorite Answer

It depends on whether or not you're still reading it or have finished it.

"I am liking" would mean that you're still reading it - although it would be far more natural to say, "I'm enjoying this book."If you've finished reading the book, you could say, "I like this book," I liked this book," or, "I enjoyed this book."

Technically, it's wrong. Verbs of mental state are not usually used in the progressive. You either like something or you don't. BUT companies started using "like" in the progressive a few years ago (such as McDonald's "I'm lovin' it") so now people have started using it that way, too. It might be understood as a temporary state- "I'm loving this book right now, but I might not like the ending". 

It is unusual but not 'wrong'.

• Vivian

While "I am liking this book" is not grammatically wrong, you could also say: "I do like this book".

i dont think so

why worry about grammar with a very common expression that is used by many people?

It's not grammatically wrong.  But up to just a few years ago it would have been very unusual.  Today people very often use this form.  "Are you seeing this?"  instead of "Do you see this?"  And McDonald's slogan "I'm lovin' it." instead of just "I love it".

Yes.

............