How much can I talk down a used car price if I am paying cash?

Favorite Answer

The standard method is to "make an offer".

There may or may not be a counter offer.

If there is a counter offer then you can either take it, leave it or make a second offer.

You have to be willing to walk away from the deal when haggling! Some people will walk away for a day or more before making a second offer. Most frequently when there was no counter offer on the first offer.

Here is the thing- haggling demands you know when the price is not worth haggling over and also what the going price is. I for one don't haggle, I know what something is worth and if the price is right I buy it. If I am selling an some one low balls me it is no deal now or later. So you have to get an idea if the seller is willing to haggle.

https://www.thedollarstretcher.com/frugal-living/m...

• Elise

Thanks old man

if it is a private dealer, tell them that it is all you have

Do some research.  Try Kelley Blue Book, www.kbb.com.  Look for similar cars available for sale.  www.cars.com.  www.cargurus.com.  

99% of the public has no concept of negotiating. 99% of used car managers do. 

The best way to get a good deal is to AVOID car dealers.

Buy from a private party and pay no more than private party value. 

Don't mention cash until you have a deal.  And then do the deal in the parking lot a police station.

I would not even go look at any car thats not reasonably priced. As in no more than a few hundred more than private party value.

You can ask before you go to look at it what the absolute lowest they can take for it because you have a limited budget.  Then that becomes the absolute most you can pay and then when you get there and drive it you should be able to get them down even more.

There is no huge discount for paying cash anyway. Everyone except buy here pay here dealers get cash for every car they sell.  So you whipping out $100 bills is not going to impress anyone and it might even get you robbed if you don't buy the car.

Salesman are taught to prequalify customers before they even take a test drive. The reason is not because they demand cash or will give a financing discount, its just so they ensure you CAN buy a car before they waste an hour or so with you.

Very little if any.  The dealer will often make some money off any financing deal.  Best way is to be prepared to walk and then do it if they won't meet your price.

Not much, if any.  

as much as you want to