Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 2 months ago

How to keep my rabbit from escaping?

I have a holland lop rabbit, who is a bit of an escape artist. He had always been able to scale the pen, but he just chooses not to. My other holland lop rabbit (his sister, so they had been together since birth) passed away a few months ago, and since then, he hasn’t been so interested in staying in the pen anymore.  His desire to be in the same place as his bonded rabbit friend is honestly the only reason I think he ever stayed in the pen all these years (besides 2 escapes he made when I first got them). He has a 2 story hutch connected to the pen that I could lock him in, but it doesn’t give him much space to run around, so I’d rather avoid that.  He can climb like nobody’s business, so I doubt just buying a taller pen will solve my problem. (The current pen is 3 feet tall, and he actually climbs it to get out, not jumps over it). Any ideas or thoughts? I have tried to give him extra attention and extra toys and things to occupy his time now that his sister passed away to make his pen interesting enough that he won’t escape, but he still escaped again today.  The rest of my house is not bunny-proofed enough to just let him roam without being constantly watched. Plus I have a dog who absolutely loves my rabbit, but my rabbit is terrified of my dog, so I keep them separate.

Probably try to bond him again and cover the pen

Cover the pen. You can use netting or a sheet as well.

maybe hes looking for her, maybe you should get another rabbit to keep him company so he dont escape so much

• patty

a vet on tv said that rabbits do not do well by themselves. they like another rabbit to groom them etc Get another one

• JJ

Maybe he's looking for his friend. A new companion might keep him in there.