Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 2 months ago

Will schools be opening up in April in Japan, despite the recent spike in cases?

My boyfriend (we are American) is an hour outside of Tokyo, teaching English to Japanese middle schoolers. He landed there on March 13th. He’s supposed to spend a year there, maybe two if he wants(I’m hoping just one, for my selfish sake haha).

I know schools were projected to reopen April 8th, but I’m hearing coronavirus cases have been on the rise in the last week or so, especially in Tokyo. He told me a couple of days ago that Shinzo Abe was going to be making an announcement soon, and my boyfriend is afraid it’ll be about schools staying closed. if schools close for another month, he said he would likely stay/tough it out, but if they close longer than that, he may have to come back.

What does it look like?

Favorite Answer

The Japanese government says that schools would be open as scheduled from April, although they might be closed in areas with a large number of patients.

And there is no announcement after that. If you tell us in which prefecture he's supposed to work, (if it's 1 hour outside of Tokyo, I guess it's either Chiba, Saitama or Kanagawa) we can tell you more.

Addition:

If it's Kanagawa, the Kanagawa government announced just today that suspension of their public schools would be extended to April 19. So their schools will resume on April 20 at the earliest.

But generally, Kanagawa prefecture and other prefecures run only high schools. If he's supposed to teach at a middle school, I guess this announcement does not affect that school.So the bottom line is, it depends on the school. And you have to check the website of school in which he's going to teach.

On what basis is he there? Is he with the JET program? Is he being paid? Japan so far has a relative low number of infections and deaths. He'd probably be safer staying there.