Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

I need help in deciding what I should major in according to my  career choice,I'll list the details of what I want to do for a career below.?

So, I want to go to college and either major in sociocultural anthropology, ethnic studies, or global studies (But I'm not quite sure which would go best with my career preference). I am going to minor in a foreign language (most likely from the South American region). I am also going to be in the ROTC program so after I graduate I can enter the military and hopefully score high enough on asvab to be able to work on the intelligence branch (most likely human intelligence, international & civil affairs, or interpreter) . . . After the military I want to be able to join the federal bureau of investigation for either an FBI linguist or intelligence analyst. But if I don't want to go that route after the military and instead want to go the international aid worker/peace corps route what would be the best thing to major in while in University. I know I don't need a degree for the military but I do want to go to college for knowledge so I can have options once I get out of the military. Final question: What would be the best thing to major in? Highschool stresses me out because I have to know what I want to do for the rest of my life and I want to have choices.

I want to pursue this because I am very fascinated with culture and language which is why I thought those military careers would be the best fit and than after I want to still be pursuing something in culture and language which is why I might choose either of those career after the military.

• Mrsjvb

ROTC has a specific list of majors allowed to receive a commission.  while anyone/major can do the first 2 years, only those approved majors will be allowed to continue on and become an Officer.  

98% of interpreters for the military are native speakers hired locally.  the rest are all enlisted.

as for going INTEL in the military, your stated majors would be of zero use. INTEL requires heavy analytical skills associated with the hard sciences and Math.  Psychology and accounting majors are most prized by the FBI.  seconded by Computer science.  

There are no officer translators

if you go peace corps, you;ll never be in the military of federal law enforcement