I have deleted half of my photos yet my iCloud is still at max capacity & majority of it is still photos, what can I do?

My iPhone 6s Plus has been telling me for the past 2 weeks that I need to do a backup, but every time I attempt, it says my iCloud is too full. So today I decided to go check out my iCloud storage. Sure enough it is full to the max with 4.9GB of it being my photos. It didn’t surprise me, I had nearly 1,300 photos! So I went through my pics and deleted 700 pics leaving me with around 600. Then I deleted everything from my Recently Deleted file. I expected there to be more room, over 2g because I deleted OVER HALF of my pictures!!! But no! It only gave me .2 GB of space and I still can’t backup my phone!!! I googled what’s going on and I did everything it was telling me already! & it just so happens I am not the only one having this problem. What am I not doing? How do I make space to backup my phone?

You had to start out with more gbs