Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 2 months ago

Starting Football Late, NFL Still Possible?

I am thinking of starting football next year which is my sophomore year of high school.

I am aware people have started football as late as college and still made it to the NFL but they usually played another sport or have been an athlete since they were a child. There's one issue, I have never played ANY sport before and have always been quite un-athletic, I understand I will have to work hard and be extremely committed but I really think this will be a great thing for me and maybe even a career. I want to understand whether or not I statistically would have a shot at a college scholarship or maybe even an opportunity to be in the NFL after college.

its possible fans wont be allowed in stadiums this year

Yes.

I am a sports fan who is a fan of 2 sports radio shows. They talk about sports topics and they take phone calls from passionate sports fans. If you are interested to call their sports radio shows than feel free. Call their morning show, and the afternoon show at 704-332-0173. It is Monday to Friday, 7am ET to 9:55am ET. Also, 3pm ET to 6:55pm ET. They would talk about any sports topics of your choice, and also if you have questions in sports or anything in general, feel free to call them.

You could call in another sports radio show Monday to Friday at 12pm ET to 12:55pm ET, 502-571-1080. They would talk about any sports topics of your choice, and also if you have questions in sports or anything in general, feel free to call them.

Statistically, no. There are great athletes who play very well at the college level who never make it to the NFL, and even playing Division 1 is a bit of a stretch. Unless you're a giant or a freak of nature athlete, try to play for the fun and maybe you can play D2 or D3 ball in college. 

• No. Not remotely. Going off of math, you're looking at 1-2 out of every 100 kids who play high school football play at the D-1 college level on a macro number. So if there's 75 kids on your high school football team, 2 "might" play Division 1 college football and maybe another 2-3 might play at a junior college.

With approximately 110 schools playing D-1 college football and 85 scholarship players (let's pretend that the walk-on and non-scholarship players don't exist even though they do). That's 9,350 D-1 college football players. If everyone is in school for 4 years, that means that, assuming equal distribution, you're looking at around 2,337 players (not counting D-2, D-3, etc.) finish as seniors. Less than 10% of that number will get drafted by an NFL team (224, or 7 rounds of 32 players).

Less than half of the 224 players drafted will ever play a regular season NFL game.

So no, playing in the NFL isn't possible.

Start working out now.  Lift medium weights slowly and with perfect form.  Run a lot of short sprints back and forth from a three point.  Do NOT run too much distance.  Wind sprints should be enough and you never need to run more than a mile.

• jared

Maybe, but don't count on it ?

• Cu Tie

I highly encourage you to join your high school football team next season. It will still not (yet) be too late for you to start playing football.

My best advice for you is to work hard and perform very well in practice every day. In addition, what you need to do this (and every) offseason is eat healthy, exercise by doing weight lifting, and either jogging or going for a long run every day. If you do these things, you will get faster, stronger, and into better shape, which will greatly improve your chances of becoming a successful, top notch high school football player, who could go on to play college football, and possibly even in the NFL, in the future.

By the way, your chances of playing college football depend on your performance in football during your sophomore, junior, and especially senior, years of high school. If you perform very well in football during your final 3 years of high school, you will greatly improve your chances of getting recruited to play for a college football program.

In turn, your chances of playing in the NFL depend on your performance in football during your college football career. If you perform very well in football during your college years, you will greatly improve your chances of getting drafted to play for an NFL team.

• Adam D

When you consider the huge number of high school football players out there, compared to the number of scholarship football players in college, from a pure statistics standpoint the answer is no - for anyone, whether they started at age 5 or waited until their senior year.  It's like the lottery.  Yes, someone has to win.  But the odds are against everyone.  Then the statistics for playing in the NFL are even smaller.

You should work hard at everything you do.  If the talent is there, you'll go farther.

• .

Most NFL players started early.  But if you're exceptionally big, fast, and strong, you might have a chance.