New 2nd harddrive not showing up.?

I recently built a brand new gaming computer and currently have a 250gb M.2 drive installed. A few days later I bought a 2TB Firecudda hybrid to expand storage. I have the 2nd harddrive connected however it is not showing up in BIOS or Disk Management. In Disk Management it ONLY shows my M.2 drive so I can not allocate and partition my new harddrive. I have tried searching for the answer but they all say to keep leading back to Disk Mangement. 

Any solutions?

• Adrian
    Favorite Answer

If the BIOS does not see the drive, it is "not there" so to speak. You have to check the power and SATA connectors at both ends. Try a different SATA port if possible, and if you have more than one SATA power connector, change that as well.

If the BIOS still does not show the drive, then the drive may be defective. Until it shows up in BIOS, Windows will never see it....

This may sound kind of dumb, but it never hurts to double check:You did plug in both data and power, right? I've built and fixed systems and have occasionally forgotten to plug the drive in and the system wouldn't boot.

Another thing to check is which SATA port on the motherboard you plugged your hard drive in. If you have an M.2 SSD plugged in, it may disable some SATA ports depending on how many M.2 SSDs you have and if they are SATA or NVME SSDs. You will need to check your motherboard manual to find this information.

I have an MSI Z270 SLI motherboard with 2 M.2 SATA SSDs installed and had a similar issue when I went to change the cooler. I removed the board to work on it, and when I put it back, I forgot that some SATA ports were disabled. My system booted into Windows fine (since the SSDs are the boot drive; RAID0) but my hard drive was not detected by neither the UEFI nor Windows. After looking through the motherboard manual, it told me which ports were disabled based on how many M.2 drives were installed.

Run bios defaults. The hard drive should then show up. You may actually have to unplug you're either drive to force it to show up if it's still does not show up after you force it by unplugging the other drive return the drive that you just bought it's defective

• I will have to try that process. So reset BIOS to default and see if it appears?

• Barry
    • The second drive does not appear in Disk Management.