Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

What’s wrong with my crawdad?

So last weekend I got a crawdad from a creek in the woods. He’s in water from his natural habitat along with stones, sand and plants from around the creek as well. He has been doing fine the past few days and I read online that you could feed them fish food so I got him some. I also read that as a de-stress treat you could give them uncooked potatoes. After relaxing for a bit and doing some work around the house I saw that he was sitting very still, I moved the container around slightly and he still didn’t move. Upon further inspection he would move his antenna but not himself even if I got close. 

There’s no need to respond to the question anymore. Henry the crawdad has sadly passed

It depends on some important factors like how large the container is for starters. If it is a very small one you need to change the water every couple of days. If you don't especially after adding goldfish the ammonia that they excrete is actually building up and will eventually kill them all. Changing the water removes that problem. As far as feeding it goldfish, I think you would be better off removing the goldfish and feeding it small pieces of meat such as ham or bologna which can be removed if left uneaten after a couple of hours until the next feeding. That way if he is unable to catch a goldfish he won't starve. Crayfish are more of a scavenger than a preditor. By doing this you reduce the amount of waste and decaying food that will add to the poor water quality problem.

• David B.

georgia; OK I guess I just misread your post. At any rate you still need to do the water changes and try to avoid overfeeding because unlike the meat I mentioned fish food will be difficult or impossible to remove. Any that remains just speeds up the problem of the water becoming fouled.