Promoted
Chris asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Is it expensive to have a dog?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • OTTO
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

No and yes. It depends on what you choose to spend. Cheap dog food, free vet care, euthanasia instead of surgery...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Its cheaper than a child, but still expensive.

If you want a "cheap" pet.. Get a cat.   Cat owners brag about how independent cats are..  So you dont even need to buy cat food.  They catch mice to eat

• 2 months ago

It's not expensive, depending on how much money you want to spend on him/her

• 2 months ago

It is the vet care that is majorly expensive and that is always an unknown.   

You can get insurance but depending on the dog / breed that can also be quite high and also doesn't cover everything. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

They are particularly expensive in the very beginning of their lives and in the very end.

• 2 months ago

I have never thought about the expense. I have rescued large & extra large dogs for over 50 yrs & I kept 5 at any one time or a couple more. I just consider it part of grocery shopping. I have always had dogs & never once has the cost really hurt me. They are something I must have so I sacrifice to be able to keep them.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

That depends on what you consider expensive to be.  My GSD wasn't acting like herself, took her in to her Vet yesterday, it's a MILD urinary tract infection.

$290 later she came home.

I have pet insurance, but, still ...

Two weeks ago my OTHER dog sprained his leg.  That was $175.

We LOVE the Vets we use, and they are no more expensive than other Vets in the area, but that's the cost of owning a dog.

• 2 months ago

Yes it is if they are  looked after correctly. But also they pay back a hundred fold when trained and treated correctly also..... I couldnt do my job without my sheepdogs Ya see:

So they are worth more to me than many could understand or fathom And thats the complete truth also as it goes

Attachment image
    Source(s): Just an ole shepherd and his dogs and flock
    • Restless Spirit
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

AWWWWW! How cute. That's genuine PUPPY LOVE....

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Food, grooming, vet bills can be expensive. If you go away, you will need a dog sitter or board your dog. This can be costly, too.

• 2 months ago

It depends on what you compare it to.  It's cheaper than caring for a human child but more expensive than a goldfish.

Attachment image
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.