Chris asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Is it expensive to have a dog?

• OTTO

No and yes. It depends on what you choose to spend. Cheap dog food, free vet care, euthanasia instead of surgery...

Its cheaper than a child, but still expensive.

If you want a "cheap" pet.. Get a cat.   Cat owners brag about how independent cats are..  So you dont even need to buy cat food.  They catch mice to eat

It's not expensive, depending on how much money you want to spend on him/her

It is the vet care that is majorly expensive and that is always an unknown.   

You can get insurance but depending on the dog / breed that can also be quite high and also doesn't cover everything. 

They are particularly expensive in the very beginning of their lives and in the very end.

I have never thought about the expense. I have rescued large & extra large dogs for over 50 yrs & I kept 5 at any one time or a couple more. I just consider it part of grocery shopping. I have always had dogs & never once has the cost really hurt me. They are something I must have so I sacrifice to be able to keep them.

That depends on what you consider expensive to be.  My GSD wasn't acting like herself, took her in to her Vet yesterday, it's a MILD urinary tract infection.

$290 later she came home.

I have pet insurance, but, still ...

Two weeks ago my OTHER dog sprained his leg.  That was $175.

We LOVE the Vets we use, and they are no more expensive than other Vets in the area, but that's the cost of owning a dog.

Yes it is if they are  looked after correctly. But also they pay back a hundred fold when trained and treated correctly also..... I couldnt do my job without my sheepdogs Ya see:

So they are worth more to me than many could understand or fathom And thats the complete truth also as it goes

Source(s): Just an ole shepherd and his dogs and flock
    • Restless Spirit

AWWWWW! How cute. That's genuine PUPPY LOVE....

• Murzy

Food, grooming, vet bills can be expensive. If you go away, you will need a dog sitter or board your dog. This can be costly, too.

It depends on what you compare it to.  It's cheaper than caring for a human child but more expensive than a goldfish.