promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 months ago

My husband has a masters degree in mechanical engineering from China. Can he find a good job here in the U.S.?

Hi everyone, my husband has completed his masters in mechanical engineering from China and is soon going to be coming to the U.S. (he’s currently in Pakistan). We were both wondering whether or not he’ll be able to find a good job here with the degree he currently has or what more would he have to do in order to get a good job. Do you think he should do some certifications? He was thinking about doing his PhD here in the same field but we’re unsure of what the process would be. Do you think a PhD would be beneficial? 

3 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    If you are petitioning for your husband's immigration, he really doesn't need a PhD. If he has good English skills, he will easily be able to find employment as a mechanical engineer. It's one of the most sought after professions in the United States.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    A PhD is typically not useful in engineering. A good master's degree from a well regarded university, experience, and excellent references from reputable employers are the best recommendations for a job.

    What is (or will be) his status in US? US citizen, legal permanent resident, or will he need an employment visa? What's he doing in Pakistan - working?

    Of course, he must be licensed in the US, and requirements for obtaining a professional engineering license vary somewhat from state to state. He will have to investigate - start research on that online. Of course, he must meet US standards, and a Chinese degree might or might not be acceptable.

    Too many unknowns here to advise. You have to do your homework to determine whether he might qualify or not.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    Maybe.  Degrees from China actually aren't worth very much.  With a Masters, or maybe even a PhD, he would be competing at the level of a Bachelors from a decent school.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.