Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicCountry · 2 months ago

admit it or not this is one of the best COUNTRY songs ever? why or not?

Favorite Answer

"One of the best Country songs ever," is subjective in that it's completely opinion based, on the individual, or a group of individuals opinions. It may rank among the best by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, but that's as far as it should go. That same deal applies, or should apply to all country artists, whether it's solo, duet or as a group. As for it being Country Music, that depends on who you're talking to. To me it's Pop Music, not Country Music. In fact it played as much on pop radio at it's height of popularity, as it did on Country stations.

I see two classic country singers trying to widen their market by singing a pop song. It's a good song, but hardly one of the best "country" songs ever. It was written by the Bee Gees, and originally intended for Marvin Gaye to record in R&B style. Nothing country about that.   I concede that in 2005 a CMT poll lists it as Best Country "Duet", but I would argue that is a credit to their vocal performance...not the song itself. I don't hear a single fiddle or pedal steel guitar.  Not country. Period.

David Allen Coe claims Steve Goodman wrote the perfect country song, "You Never Even Call Me By My Name".   I think I could list dozens of better ones, but at least his is country. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOAz9tMYs1Y

Youtube thumbnail

Thats a good song, but wearing a tuxedo and a ball gown and an orchestra as the backing band, I'd be hard pressed to call it one of the best COUNTRY songs.

It's a top country song for sure.