promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can you finish a year of college early ?

If I attend college for the fall semester and take extra classes will I be able to finish my first college year early?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Your time in college isn't really designated by "years."  It's designated by credit hours.  At most colleges, you are a freshman until you have completed 30 hours, a sophomore until you have completed 60 hours, a junior until you have complete 90 hours, and a senior after that.  Most colleges/universities require that you complete 120 hours for a bachelor's degree.  

So if you take "extra" classes in the fall, then you will just have more hours toward your degree.  You won't be able to take 30 hours in a semester - 18 is usually the maximum before you need permission, and you shouldn't take that many your first semester.  You would still likely reach sophomore status at the end of your second semester, but you might have more than the 30 hours you need by that point.  If you continue to do that for all of your semesters then you MIGHT be able to graduate a semester early.

If you come to college with some AP or dual credit course credits, then you will be ahead in hours and may be considered a sophomore by the end of your first semester, depending on how many hours you bring with you and how many hours you take.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

just try it and see and then you'll know

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Colleges don't really count your degree by "years". You can complete the courses necessary for your degree as quickly as you are able, as long as they are offered at the right time and accepted for credit by your school.

With several AP credits applied, and by taking courses during the summer, winter break, and online, etc., a young friend of mine finished her undergraduate degree at a well-known university in 2 years and 3 months.

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Define “early”. If you earned AP or CLEP credit, you might be able to accumulate 30 credits in one semester...

Otherwise, no.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

If you can get the necessary credits, sure.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.