promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why almost every story has a male as a main character? And if it's a female MC the story is mostly unsuccessful...?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It entirely depends on the genre. In YA, protagonists are overwhelmingly female because teenage girls are the main audience demographic. And in anything written before like 1980 (as well as in places with less progressive ideals), you're dealing with an era of sexism where women were held back from writing and publishing, and in certain periods even prevented/discouraged from reading. If men are writing and reading, those are typically going to be the popular choices for main characters. That still has an influence on modern literature; most of the books you grew up reading in English class probably had male protagonists, so those are seen as more "literary". Theres other factors, like the fact that many men will be turned away by the idea of trying to relate to a female character (whereas women have learned to do it for lack of choice). Male authors are often squeamish at the idea of having to write something that involves romance with a man, or find it difficult to write inner perspective of a female character. Men dominate many publishing companies, which influences what becomes successful.  And my theory is that lots of us see (white) men as a literary "default"; as if too write from any other perspective changes the meaning of the story. Books with protagonists of color or female MCs are often characterized as "subversive" or "inverting the genre" (female detective stories and mysteries are a prime example). I'm just scratching the surface- this involves centuries of history and literature building up to where we are now.

• 2 months ago

I'm afraid you're showing your extremely narrow experience of reading. People who read widely and from a range of time periods and genres know perfectly well that while male MCs do still outnumber females, it's simply ridiculous to say that 'almost every story' has a male MC.

And when you go on to say that with a female MC the book is 'mostly unsuccessful' you show us again how little you know about the world of books.

Other answers have given you lists of dozens and dozens of extremely successful and well known novels with female MCs. Many of those were even written by men ...

Please break out of whatever narrow range of books you've been reading and find the big world of Real Books.

• ...Show all comments
    • bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Mickey, I don't think you'd get much disagreement if you had merely said that male MCs are still in the majority. It's your over-emphatic use of 'almost all' and 'mostly' and 'always' and 'everything' that makes us rush to contradict you.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Tina
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

By 'story' do you mean novel?

That is simply not true. You may read more books with male characters (especially if you are male yourself) but this doesn't mean there are not thousands of successful novels with a female protagonist.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because a man wrote the book.  More women need to start writing books about failing men.

• ron h
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

"Failing men?   You can find that kind of book in "gender studies"

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • chorle
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I think this might be true of many of the genres I like but isn't it rare for the romance genre (the best selling genre) to have a male main character? 

• 2 months ago

I disagree there are lots of best sellers that have female protagonists.

Just a few that come to mind:

Little Women

The Handmaiden's Tale

Gone With The Wind

The Bell Jar

Tess of the D'Ubervilles

The Power

The Girl on The Train

Almost any Jane Austin book

The Silence of The Girls

The Hanna Vogel Series

Blindness

The Miss Peregrine 's series

Rose Madder

Delores Claiborne

Misery

The Earths Children Series.

And many more have strong female characters

Harry Potter series

The Belgariad and Malleron Series

The Pure Series 

The Alienist

The Bill Hodges Series.

Foxfire

• Amber
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I think you need to widen your reading before making a statement like that. 

Anna Karentina was a hugely successful book with a female protag

Gone with the Wind

Jane Eyre

Pride and Prejudice

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Rebacca

A woman of Substance 

Patrica Cornwell's books mostly have females as leads. 

YA is overwhelmingly about female protagonists. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Women have more empathy and find it easy to read a book written from a man's point of view. But men couldn't do that. Men would have trouble reading books written from a woman's point of view. They would consider it gay and not be interested.

• Joakim
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Wrong..................

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because readers are sexist. Women will read a female or male main character, but men typically will not read a book with a female main character.

• ...Show all comments
    • bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

A 'hissy fit' is 'a fit of hysterics' - aka an over-reaction. Maybe it's just a British phrase; certainly very common in the UK.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.