Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 months ago

Why are some people in society raised to be so judgemental and opinionated, yet dont see their faults or practice what they preach?

For example people who are anti-alcohol. 

Because people are hypocrites. I know of one woman who absolutely loathes drunks - but it's different when she gets drunk and rings you at 2 in the morning! When I reminded her, she ignored me or changed the subject (I tried to remind her several times because I hate hypocrites!!) 'Some' people may be raised that way, because they see their parents doing it all the time. However, my mother did it, and I never did. Some people just have it in them to do that naturally.

Some people find it easier to judge others, rather than take a look at themselves and often, what they criticize in others is actually what they do not like about themselves.  Also, some people assume others will share their perspective, and so will express their opinion openly and freely with the expectation there will be a collective agreement.  Best you can do is focus on your own choices and live your best life for you.

maybe theyre in denial about stuff

Because it is human to be judgemental and opinionated.

Some societies allow people to speak of their opinions freely, some don't.  But don't think that in the societies that don't that the people aren't judgemental and opinionated.  Just as you shouldn't conclude those who don't share their judgements or opinions aren't judging others.  They are, just keeping it to themselves.  Your question suggests you don't judge and opine as much as others, and identify fault in those who do, but that is a judgement and opinion.  You are just as bad as all those you are trying to fault.

Why are some people hypocrites or believe their opinion to be the absolute truth?  I don't know.  What I do know is that we are all flawed.  Every single one of us, except that one guy 2000 years ago.  And again, that includes you.  Bottom line ... a lot of it has to do with ego.

No one is infallible. Being judgemental and hypocritical are just two of our poor traits, another is stigmatising. Nothing will change that other than if someone can put forward a convincing argument to them, even then it often doesn't work because they're hellbent on their opinion and refuse to accept the argument.