promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

2001 PT Cruiser keeps dying?

I have a 2001 Pt cruiser with 280k miles. It runs great, no check engine light or anything. However, whenever I leave it sitting around, it dies. I use another car to jump it, waiting about 15 mins for it to charge and sometimes the car won’t start up but it usually ends up doing so. I tried taking out the fuse for the radio, thinking it was that but it still dies. Lights are turned off

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Simple. Disconnect the battery when you leave it setting. Then when you hook it bac up, if it starts up, it means you have too much off-draw from somewhere on the car. But if it doesn't start, it's the batter that needs replacement. If it's something on the car that's draining the battery, just disconnect the off draw fuse when letting the car set may helps.

Source(s): Chrysler Master tech and advisor. Retired.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Needs a new battery which will cost more than that car is worth.

• Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

It’s dead. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Replace battery for a NEW ONE.  Car runs so it is the forking battery.  Figure 6 year max per battery  3x6=18 years. the year is 2020 your car came out in01 or 02 and subtract the 18 from 20 and you see you need another battery again. Do it before it costs you the alternator and the starter motor too. So that package of the 3 Amigo's would cost $1000(instead of $100 for just the battery)

• 2 months ago

you don't say how long it sits between uses. if more than 12 days the IGNITION OFF DRAW fuse 

should be removed. this is located in the under hood fuse box, most year models.  early cars such as yours it is located in the driver side fuse box [lower dash] marked fuses.

use your owners manual to locate the correct fuse it is listed as iod in manual.

if problem occurs on an over night bases, disconnect the battery ground cable overnight and connect it in morning and see if it starts [no start indicates a failing battery] at this point the electrical system needs to be tested at a shop with a sun vat-40 tester and a mechanic old enough to know how to use it. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Sounds like a parasitic draw. Might get a free check of the battery, alternator, starter at your local Auto Zone to rule those out. Sometimes you can have one bad cell in the battery so it almost functions like normal with the engine running. About 10% of car batteries don't make it to the end of their free replacement warranty and even fewer to the end of the 5 or 7+ years life expectancy.

• 2 months ago

Find someone who knows how to check for a parasitic drain. This is something that is not turning off when you turn the car off. Google how to do it. 

• k w
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

like a glove box light that don't shut off etc...good idea

• Barry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Buy a new battery.

• k w
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

when was the last time you bought a battery ?

• 2 months ago

You are correct. Your car is dying a slow death.

Lv 7
    2 months ago

Check the sticker on your battery to see when it was made.  If the battery is three years old or older, replace it.

• k w
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

my Optima lasted 7 yrs on my car,  the car is a 2002 Accord, got another cuz it lasted so long,
      I think the original lasted 7yrs too, but had a stroke my memory is not up to speed, AND the exhaust system lasted 16yrs...just sayin

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.