Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 2 months ago

If you had diabetes would an eye exam detect it?

I recently started seeing floaters. The optician did a dilated eye exam and said everything looks good, no diabetic retinopathy etc. My question is even if you were in the beginning stages of diabetes can that be detected in an eye exam? Or would it have to be pretty advanced.

Favorite Answer

It would have to be very advanced - I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes over 10 years ago and my yearly eye exam is good. Partner has also been diabetic for about 12 years and doesn't often watch his diet and last exam showed slight deterioration in eyes. Floater has nothing to do with it, what they are looking for is dilated blood vessels which damage the eyes.

To answer your question, my friend, an opthalmologist or an optometrist would only be able to detect diabetes once damage has begun to occur. i.e. it would not normally be able to detect diabetes in someone that has only recently been diagnosed.  Eye damage in diabetes occurs when blood sugar (glucose) levels have been uncontrolled for a long period of time.

• kelvin

you do not have diabetes

An optometrists can detect in in the early stages. There’s like a silver film in the back of your eye that’s a sign of diabetes. 

Floaters can be retinal detachment. 

• micksmixxx

@Bone Alone.  There's little sense in responding to questions about diabetes if you don't know squat about the condition, mate.