What exactly do you understand social distancing to mean re the coronavirus?

I must admit that I already asked this question on politics. It bugs me that the term is thrown around but is seldom defined. Coronavirus.gov has a broken link attempting to define it. Aargh.

I think it is very important we all understand what it means. The answer I picked as best was it means to not be social. Stay at home when possible. Dont even go over to your friends. six feet from people when you must go out and avoid groups of any size.

I had thought it simply meant stay six feet from people, but I am glad others see it as more encompassing.

Thanks for all your answers.

I wish Yahoo would have let me award about 5 best answers! 

Favorite Answer

I think it means "stay away from other people." Simple as that.

These are scary times, exceptional times. How long will it last? I don't know, but we have to take it seriously.

Keep yourself 2 metres away from anyone else, as much as you can. You will need to go and buy food and other things sometimes, but, as much as you can, stay at home.

Do this for yourself, and for everyone around you.

We have to beat this coronavirus thing. Yes, I know it's weird. I know that there has not been a threat like this across the globe for a long time.

It comes down to science. You are a lot less likely to get the coronavirus if you stay away from other people. And if you get it, there is a 1 in 5 chance that you will get very ill, and some chance that you may die.

I don't like those odds. Who would?

I hate this as much as anyone, I didn't ask for this, I think it's horrible and unfair and frightening. But we have to use our heads and fight this problem in the smartest way possible, and that means social distancing.

So stay away from other people as much as you can, and know that this situation will not last. We will create a vaccine for this, and we will come out the other side, and throw a big global party.

• Jim2

I like the simplicity of stay way from other people. Sometimes I make things too complicated.

I thought it meant, don't get within 6 feet of anyone you don't live with. Don't get close enough they can breathe on you. Wash your hands frequently. Wipe down door handles, light switches, anything public you touch like that--use a Lysol wipe. Wipe down your groceries too. Wash your produce with soap and water.

The 'Social Distancing' rule, seems to mean many different things to everyone.  To me it means, not seeing friends and if I have to work, to keep 6 feet away from each other.  If on Public Transport, it's virtually impossible to keep that distance, so wrapping your nose and mouth in a scarf, is better than nothing, but apparently is virtually useless, though not as useless as an uncovered face!  Or getting the earliest bus or train to avoid the crowds.  Better to be early than horribly ill.

In the food shops, here in the UK, we have to queue outside, as they have a strict policy, which avoids overcrowding in the store and you hang back and try to avoid the other shoppers getting too close.  You then either use the 'self service' tills that have to be wiped down, between customers or stand back from the 'cashier' and only use cards, no cash transactions.

Our Government is paying us to stay at home and not work outside the home....

• y

You have the right understand, no going over friends, no hanging out, if you go for a walk and see it is crowded, turn around and go elsewhere. Basically turn your home into a self imposed prison and this thing will burn itself down. Problem is, too many are not doing this, they want to do what they want to do.

• Jim2

Amen to 'Too many are not doing this...'

It means avoid leaving your home unless essential.

It means keeping away from others when you leave your home (think 6ft or 1.8M).

It means avoiding gathering with others.

Where I am we are limited to 5 people at a wedding (couple, celebrant, 2 witnesses). We are limited to 10 people at a funeral, even if outside. We are limited to a maximum of 500 people at an outdoor event (think football stadium, 500 people). We are limited to 100 people indoors (think shopping centre, 100 people) with a minimum of 4 sq metres (about 20sq feet) per person. Take away only at café or restaurants. Churches closed. Gyms closed. Schools closed. Etc.

• audrey

It means become anti-social.

One of the ways to get infected is touching someone then touching your eyes, nose, mouth. By keeping your distance and not touching someone, you decrease your chance of getting it. Hopefully by not spreading the germ, you let the virus run its course. Let those who are infected with it, develop immunity. Once they develop immunity, their bodies will kill the germs so it can’t spread. If enough people have immunity and it doesn’t spread, the virus will be eliminated.