Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 2 months ago

Why does my arm feel like this? ?

About 3 days ago, I did some bicep curls. I wasn’t using anything more than about 10 pounds. I usually don’t work out, so I expected my arms to be sore the next day. My right arm is perfectly fine. No soreness or anything. In my left arm, I feel almost excruciating pain whenever I extend my arm. It generates around the back of my elbow (the actual bend part). But if my arm is bent, it’s perfectly fine and has no pain whatsoever. Has anyone ever experienced this? It doesn’t feel like a typical soreness, it’s like actual pain. I assume it’s just extra sore or something since I don’t normally work out, but I don’t know I thought it was kind of weird that I’m feeling actual pain. 

Also, after I keep it still for a while, it hurts so much worse when I move it again. Do I need to keep moving it and extending it to work it out and make the pain go away? 

• Bort

People can throw their back out by lifting a soda can the wrong way. The amount of weight doesn't matter. You might have jarred something out of position like your shoulder joint, a ligament, or a tendon. Or you may have "pulled" a muscle. You obviously injured something. Sometimes a muscle injury takes months to heal. Tendon and ligament injuries might not ever heal even with treatment.

You should do curls slowly in a controlled manner, not whip them up as fast as you can. The reason you should do them slowly and controlled is to prevent injury. If you were whipping them up real fast either to get it done quicker or thining that would speed up getting the results you were after....wrong. Don't do that.

Give it a few weeks to heal. It's very likely you injured something.

• Linsey2 months agoReport

Thank you!

• Mary

it could just be pain due to not working out, but it could also be over extension/pulled muscle or tendon. either try ice and rest it or see a doctor.

• Linsey2 months agoReport

Thank you!