Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

I got accepted to Smith College but I'm not sure about their major?

I applied and was offered an admission as of yesterday. I am interested in engineering so I selected "Engineering Arts, B.A." on my application. My dad went through the website and found out that the degree doesn't have an "ABET" approval and said that I can't be a practicing engineering. The major is for women interested in engineering but want a liberal arts curriculum.

IF you want to fully qualify as an engineer, you will NOT be attending Smith.

What's your question?  If you want to go to Smith, you'll being earning a Liberal Arts undergraduate degree.  If you want to be an engineer, you should attend a university with an accredited engineering program.  

OK, so what's your question?

Your father is correct; it's not a degree in engineering and you can't practice as an engineer. It's altogether a pretty useless degree; more of a bachelor's degree in "general studies" since the degree can't be applied to any career. 

You're still fine, though, if you want to go to Smith. Smith -does- have a BS in Engineering that is ABET accredited, it's just not the program you selected on our application. 

At Smith engineering is a department, not a separate college, so you can just declare an engineering major like you would any other major, although you need to declare it earlier (in your second semester freshman year, rather than at the end of sophomore year). 

You need to complete PHY 117 (Mechanical Physics) and MTH 112 (Calculus 2) before the start of the fall semester of your sophomore year.