I got laid off (Forced Leave) from work. Do I look for other jobs?

I work at a corporate travel agencyfor 4 years now. Our industry has been impacted the most due to Covid-19. 

Our employer decided to lay off more than 50% of the employees for cost saving efforts. Unfortunately, I’m part of it. The deal was that we’re off of work for exactly 6 months. But once the economy’s back to normal, the company will call us to return to work. If the economy gets better. 

6 months is too long to be idle so I’m thinking of doing an online job for the time being. 

Would it be better to search for new job instead? Or wait for 6 months and return to work? 

• Maxi
    Favorite Answer

You were laid off...'maybe' in 6 months time 'if' there is work, they 'might' re employ.......... you do not put your life on hold 'just in case' very different if they were paying you for the next 6 months which means you still have a job... you don't you have no job, not earnings and you need to look after yourself, find new work, earn money and move on

If you are in corporate travel, I would have advised looking for a different field BEFORE Covid-19. If you are willing to work in retail, or food delivery, you can have an entry level job THIS WEEK.

You do know you can draw unemployment? It's up to you if you feel better doing online work which is hard to find then go ahead. But you would qualify for unemployment.

• ?

Id look for other work, but you might not have much luck. A lot of companies have put hiring on hold until the situation stabilizes.

• Cei

I'd look for another job.

One thing that will porbably occur as a result of this virus is that companies will realise that they don't need to be sending people all over the world for meetings etc. They are coping quite well now with on line meetings

So I think the corporate travel sector will contract.

you could get a job as a shiner