Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Is it weird that I think of my dogs as my kids?

I have 3 dogs, ages 12, 7, and 4. I have had them all since the days they were born and I love my babies so much.

Absolutely not. Dogs are companion animals & many people depend on them for a lot of things. Lots of people do not understand the bond between a person & their dog(s).

• Amber

Animals too frequently become "child substitutes" and that's ok with in reason.

My dog is 17 and she's been with me through some of the hardest changes of my life. Living alone for the first time. The divorce of my parents. The premature death of my father. The suicide of my best friend. She was there and kept me going. I do love her, although I don't know if it's a mother - child love as I have no children. But she is my baby and I call her my baby. I don't treat her like a child though that's when you get problems. I treat her like a dog because she is one and thats all she knows how to be. 

I have worked alongside a dog trainer and most of her clients were females, mostly on the older side that had problems with their dogs because they replaced their now grown-up children. 

It's not weird - all too often, many people think like that - dogs are child-substitutes.

We don't have kids, but I hope I've never thought of mine as anything other than what they are - hounds.   To think of them as kids, isn't doing them any favours.

no its your own stupidity in one word

• Maxi

Weird? No, however it depends on how you show your 'love' and if you provide them with THEIR needs, like daily training, socialisation, exercise and lead walking, good quality food and medical care

• Mack

It’s weird how boring you are. Go on a pet forum.

• Cei

I've always had dogs and loved every single one of them.

However they are pets, dogs to be precise. I would never consider any of them my babies.