Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

My autistic 24 year old son is looking at Youtube videos of pre-teen girls with makeup and fancy clothing. Serious question. Not trolling.?

My 24 year old son has autism and is also mentally challenged. He has the intellectual and emotional level of a 9 or 10 year old and is incapable of having a job.

He loves Youtube videos. He used to always watch old kids shows like Barney and Teletubbies from when he was young.

He seems fascinated by young pre-teen girls. He has no interest in adult women his own age, even those with similar abilities.

My 14 year old came to me recently and told me he has seen his big brother watching these Youtube videos about little girls dressing up in makeup and fancy clothes.

The videos are not pornographic or anything, but I am concerned that it is very inappropriate for a 24 year old man to be watching that sort of thing.

I explained it to him, but he just became furious and unreasonable. He does not understand consequences or social propriety at all.

I cannot take Youtube away because it is the only thing he is interested in. Without Youtube he would just sleep all day and night and become angry and miserable. I cannot block these videos because technically they are not adult or obscene.

What should I do?

@David B.  His chronological age certainly DOES matter if he is looking at pre-teen girls.  What if he acts this out in real life?  "Oh, it's OK if he tries to kiss your 8 year old daughter.  He has the mind of a child"  Really?  What a pathetic answer you posted!

Favorite Answer

This is tough and I can see why you would be concerned... even if his developmental age is 9-10 years old, he still has the body of an adult and can still have to face adult consequences if he acts lewdly toward a child. I think I would start with talking with him as much as you can about what he likes about those videos, what he thinks about the children in them. And, also, talk to him about being safe and the fact that when people see him, they see a grown man even if he doesn't think like one. It may just be that he likes childlike play and imagination, and would like to have friends who are developmentally similar to him--- I know of more than one adult male with autism who love Disney princesses and stuffed animals and those giant animal-shaped pool toys and it's totally innocuous and innocent. So, yeah, I think be interested in the videos he watches and ask him what he likes about them. Talk about safety and sexuality in developmentally appropriate ways.

Time for you to quit your blathering. This is beyond illogical. There is NO way you are a parent, much less a parent of an autistic person!  It would do you well to learn about autism before posting such tripe.  

• Tulip

20 years ago no one was autistic so how suddenly is he autistic??

Troll smarter, not harder.

• Jill

Sure you are trolling because parents who have raised an autistic child to the age of 24 would very well know where to ask these questions to get answers from those who know or at least those who have had the same experiences and wouldn't be asking here. 

If not try http://www.researchautism.net/autism/autism-resour...

I don't get it. You just stated that he has the intellectual and emotional level of a 9 or 10-year-old. His chronological age is irrelevant. Don't you have more important things to deal with?

I never said your son had the mind of a child. I quoted the exact words that you used in describing him. Neither did I say it was alright for him to act out by kissing someone's 8-year-old girl you moron! Either he is what you say he is or he's  not. But I'm not the one who said any of the things you are accusing him of. If you feel it is a problem why are you still allowing him to watch those videos anyway?

Couldn’t you have him sell pencils on a street corner???