promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why do we use Japan when we want to refer to video games sales is Asia, whereas China is way bigger country?

I know that video games were banned in China from 2000 to 2015 but even now, 5 whole years after that, we refer to Japan which has more than 10 times less population!!!!!!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Because it's incredibly difficult to get accurate numbers on the Chinese market, and also because foreign game companies only make up about a quarter of the sales in China. Despite being such a large market, it's not one that a lot of the major game console players see money from. Furthermore, the Chinese government approves all games to be released and many end up being banned. As of right now, the Chinese government has put a freeze on approvals for new games, so most games simply aren't selling in China whatsoever.

When they do sell, it's generally not through official channels, either. So official numbers on games and console sales are quite low because Chinese consoles are generally heavily restricted or region locked.

Most game sales in China are in the PC and Smartphone market and mostly internal, as in Chinese-made games operating within China.

• Titos2 months agoReport

You covered me. Great answer. But do you have any idea, when they say "Japan" they only mean this country's sales or maybe the add also China's or, i dont know, other areas of Asia? Any idea?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

possibly because Japan has a huge gaming industry

• 2 months ago

Well they’re created there and do better in sales in Japan typically, but you’re right we should include all of Asia. 

• 2 months ago

The percentage of a population that does some specific thing

is where the statistics start to work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.