Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

I'm about to be a Junior in college and I have no clue what I want to do with my life. I can't seem to find a passion. Any advice?

I have changed my major at least once every semester. I've had majors in design, liberal arts, science, and business. I don't know if I'm bad with commitment or what but the idea of a certain career sounds enjoyable until I get to the classes and am absolutely miserable. School sucks and I barely have the willpower to do assignments let alone study. I am losing motivation to stay in school and at this point I feel like it is just a waste of money. Everyone keeps telling me to get a degree to just have one so that I can get a better job eventually. Right now, at college, I am confused and unmotivated, but, I don't know what I would do with my life if I didn't continue school. I want to find something that I am so passionate about that I don't care about the things that I will have to overcome to get there, because I want it that much. Any advice for me?

• cool
    Favorite Answer

Hi, sorry that you haven't got any replies so far.

Have you heard of 'New Collar' jobs? They are jobs that don't require a degree but a short training scheme that leads to a job.

Thomas B Walsh is a retired engineer who worked at IBM. He speaks about these jobs in the article I linked in the source.

My recommendation is to think of a white collar job that you might enjoy, and declare a major which is related to that job.

At the same time, you can also look for a New Collar job and related training scheme.

What was your experience like in High School? It's not uncommon for students to feel unmotivated if they go straight from High School to college.

I know it feels tough, but you might be better off staying in college and scraping a 3.0 GPA on an easy major.

How easily do you think you can get an internship?

So long as you can get an internship of some sort, your major won't prevent you from getting a good job. 

But even 'elite' students can struggle to get jobs if they don't have internship, so bear that in mind.

If you are able to find a new collar job with a good wage ($20 or more per hour), then it's probably best to cut your losses and drop out.

I hope this helps!

• Jane2 months agoReport

I've looked into internships but I have never committed to a major long enough to follow through on applying. My work experience in high school was all retail and I definitely don't want to do that for the rest of my life. Thank you so much for your help! I'll definitely look into it!!!

Don't let it bother you.

I'm 60 and still trying to figure out what to do with my life.