Anonymous

Why do some Americans think silly things about other countries?

Like Britain is stuck in the 19th century for example?

• Bill
    Favorite Answer

because Americans are uneducated and have no idea of what is going on outside of the USA

Why most don't even know that the USA is now the epicenter of the corona virus

Actually we think you're self absorbed and full of yourselves.

I’ve never head the 19th century thing, but there seems to be some truth behind the first statement.

• Craig

If the TV producers in the UK would stop producing show after show after show set in the 19th century, some Americans wouldn't get that impression.  I myself must wonder if the popularity of such dramas in Britain isn't due to a national fascination with a bygone heyday...which would imply that a goodly number of Britons ARE stuck in the 19th century.  Such period pieces are FAR more popular than "Luther", for example. 

Nostalgia, anyone?

Returning to your question, I believe the reason some Americans think silly things about other countries is, as an American once twanged to me, "We don't get out much."

I guess ignorance. However, we all pass judgement whether it's because we are all patriotic about the country we were born and raised to passing judgement on someone walking past you in the street. We are all guilty of it and little bit ignorant. I strongly believe that no other country can possibly compare to Scotland and I definitely think trump is an absolute idiot and can't be trusted to run a bath, never mind running a country. Ignorance is bliss.

Many Americans have never left the States so they don't know. They tend to be insular and ignorant of the World outside of the States. 

In the case of the UK probably watching too many  episodes of Downton Abbey and costume dramas in general.