A Mrs H question: Why do most cars have speedometers that go up to at least 130 when you legally can’t go that fast on any road?

Favorite Answer

Well?.... Ronald Reagan mandated all speedometers read no more than 85 MPH back during his presidency...... But it was a worthless regulation...... We all have broken the speed limit at least one time.

This is a motorcycle I used to ride a long time ago.... 82 Suzuki Katana GS 1000.... 85 speedo.... I went 145 mph.....😂😂😂😂

Maybe it's because they might want to take their car to Germany and run it down the Autobahn! It has no speed limit.

• Sean2 months agoReport

Oh yeah international travel for a car

• If my car couldn't go at least 150 MPH l'd scrap it.

I have often wondered this.............if you don't want me doing 120.....then why give me the option? 

I think it's a cruel hoax to buy cars that allow you to do  180 mph. 

I always laugh when I see a Ferrari stuck in traffic.  All that power and no where to go. ....being forced to inch along with the rest of slobs driving clunkers. 

Granted......they still look cooler being stuck in traffic. 

• Sean2 months agoReport

Like driving on the 5 in LA. The biggest parking lot in California during rush ( if you wanna call it that )

• RR

Maybe you should thumb a lift and ask her in person...

• Mrs H

It's an alpha ego thing,  they know they can so they're happy. And of course there are idiots that do. One flew past the other night going roughly 110 in a 40 zone. 

My car's speedometer only goes up to 85 but a family friend says the car will do way beyond. Never tested that theory 

Oops,  Cat knows my secret 😄

All vehicles have the ability to speed. The fuel used in excess. Police cars need it more.

Dare I answer a question designated for Mrs H?

Because idiots will be asking why the speedometer is not moving when they are pressing on the gas pedal when they are doing the speed limit already.

Because there are countries where you are allowed to travel at those speeds and higher!

On top of which, most people feel more comfortable if they can only do half the max speed on the speedo