Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

Should I report my mom for drinking on the job even if she doesnt do it anymore?

My mom takes care of a 26 year old autistic man on fridays, and drives him home on Saturday morning. Twice she was too drunk to drive him home. I should have done something then, but I figured no harm, no fowl as along as I was there to pick up her slack. Before that, she actually tried driving off drunk with him, but I stopped her and drove him home. She hasnt done this in a year. I asked this question on reddit, and everyone called me a terrible person for not reporting her. The thing is if I reported her, then she would lose litteraly EVERYTHING. if she does it again, then that will he my last straw, but should do report her anyway, like the people on reddit said? I talked to an online counselor, because I cant afford a real one, and they said not to report her as shes not endangering him anymore. Idk....

Leave it alone, do not report her. 

• Edna

If your mom hasn't driven drunk in over a year, you now have nothing to report. 

• Archer

Your facilitating an Alcoholic in their dependency which is not actually helping her. If she has tried then she has done it before and your stepping in could reflect badly on you if something occurs when your in "her" position.

Shaking my head.

My spelling advice for you today is FOUL.  There is nothing birdlike about it.

Maybe she's getting over her habit. She was lucky to get away with this before but hasn't drunk in a year. Encourage her to carry on and praise her for her strength. No. Don't report the past. But report her if she does it again.

It's too late to report her now. You can't prove it, most likely

• Jerry

What would you accomplish by destroying her life other than destroying her life? It's not like it was save anyone from being harmed, since she's stop engaging in the risky behavior on her own. If it's not broke, don't fix it; if everything is going well just the way it is, why mess that up? 

Don't crowd source something like this; many of those who chime in with advice are silly, stupid, insincere, troublemakers, even downright malicious. Here in this every forum I have seem people advised to be cruel, be rude, be spiteful, even to violently harm others for petty offenses. You have to carefully evaluate the advice you get on a forum where just anybody can chime in. Remember, this isn't a support group and there are people who don't have your best interests at heart, people who would seek to do you harm. 

It’s “no foul,” not “no fowl.”

Unless you expect her to do it again, don’t report her. 

The online counselor was right.

• Alan H

She has changed.   Rejoice in that but, gently, let her know that you will report any future occasions

Don't listen to the mob. As long as your mother isn't doing it anymore reporting her serves no useful purpose. The only reason for reporting it would be to make sure she doesn't do it again. Since she isn't any way it makes zero sense to do it now and allowing a bunch of anonymous idiots with no connection to this other than their ignorant opinions of justice makes no sense either. There is no reason to feel guilty. You aren't a bad person either. You handled the situation in the manner you saw fit is all.