Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

depressed when drunk?

hey so my mental health is okay but I feel whenever I'm under the influence I feel depressed. I feel super detactched and overall not here and I cant explain it well but i just want to know if theres something genuinely wrong with me or if its nothing.. for some background i typically tend to drink too much so I have a bit of a tendency to lose control but I just want to to know if its nothimg

• .

alcohol is a depressent......you should try AA (alcohol anonymous)......i did and found it great for going without alcohol

Yup  you are depressed because the alcohol habit is adding strength to your depression.

• Eva

Simple answer. Stop getting drunk.

Alcohol is myopic agent - it makes you think short term. This is why ppl make bad decisions while drunk - they aren't thinking of the consequences. 

If you become depressed when drunk, it's may be because you have some things in your life you haven't handled that you normally suppress. 

Alcohol used to - and sometime still does - have the same affect in me. In my early 20s I was very dissatisfied with life, dealing with family mental illness and separations, emotional issues, trust issues; I felt alone. Once I got my act together, the alcohol induced depression disappeared. 

Alcohol now only gets me sad when something immediate/recent and obvious has happened.

Only initial consumption of alcohol will make you feel slightly better, then it will make you feel much worse. The more you drink, the less it affects you, just like many other drugs. So the anxiety and depression starts to just take over again, with a vengeance,

Alcohol is a depressant so it is not too surprising.  Other people have similar results.  A little bit of alcohol can elevate your mood but a lot of alcohol will almost always make your depression worse.  Finding the right balance is critical.  For some that means zero alcohol and for others it means a moderate amount.