promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is it illegal for children to buy yeast so they can make their own alcohol?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No because that's not the only use for it. It's not gonna go down well if the person is caught using it for such though. You would need to be old enough to get a license, and everyone who wants to make alcohol of some kind needs a particular license to do so.

• 2 months ago

I use yeast to make homemade bread.  But that's the wrong type of yeast.  You need a yeast called 'brewers yeast', it's what Breweries use to brew beers!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

No, as yeast has other uses.

• Janet
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Baker's yeast is NOT suitable for making alcohol. The result will taste AWFUL. My husband tried making mead out of baking yeast .. he was not able to stomach the taste of it.

Those who make wine or beer use BREWER'S yeast, which is different.

And other alcohols are made from distillation, not yeast.

• οικος
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Distillation doesn't MAKE alcohol; it just concentrates it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Seriously? No, of course not.

• 2 months ago

During prohibition bread yeast had a warning written on it to the effect of "if you mix this with mashed grains in a sealed container, you will be in violation..." Basically telling you how to make it because that's how they kept their business up.

You can buy yeast. You can put bread crusts with fruit in a garbage bag like prisoners do. But I'm pretty sure any sensible place wont sell you a beer making kit or beer kit branded yeasts.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.