Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)Other - Soccer · 2 months ago

Will baseball and soccer return soon?

I follow MLS more and they are following CDC guidelines of avoiding gatherings of 50+ people. They suspended the season until May 10.

But will COVID19 really end by then? What about MLB? Can we really expect sports by then. What will the leagues do?

At least I ve heard from MLS they will add more midweek games and push the season back 2 months.

It's unlikely that either sport will return soon and maybe not at all for this year.

• DEBS

Covid19 will not 'end by then'. The only way it ends if there is a vaccine which is not happening anytime soon. It's about reducing the spread. MLS says they are still trying for a full schedule. I doubt will happen.

I would be overjoyed if MLB never resumed play. It's a useless sport at best with the most boring stadium environments I've ever experienced (more than a few times.)

• Mark

They may, but there is this new invention called (I think) "television" and so fans who might normally pack a stadium will have to watch the games that way.  (Not great, but better than nothing.)  And after all, since you won't be driving, you can have as many beers as you want.

• Farshad2 months agoReport

Yeah but don't these leagues rely on ticket sales and concessions as their primary sources for revenue. They could play closed doors but then have to refund everyone's tickets that they already purchased.