why did my supervisor say something hurtful before his vacation?

Two weeks ago, at the end of our last shift together before his vacation, I told him I’ll see him in 2 weeks. I also said it’ll be hard without him here.

His response is that while he’s on his vacation, he won’t even think about me once.

Almost like how my supervisor at Arby’s treated me, although to a lesser extent. That Arby’s supervisor went psycho on me just bc I looked up to her. And told everyone I’m a stalker even though I never once stalked anyone. Is it so bad to be nice and caring that people react so negatively?

Favorite Answer

I agree, that does seem really rude and he shouldn't have made such a rude comment to you.

• Lita

Troll smarter not harder. 

• Edna

I don't think your supervisor said anything "hurtful" to you at all. He told you the truth:  He's not going to think about you, about anybody, or about anything connected with his job for the next 2 weeks while he's on vacation. 

Your Supervisor's comment is common when people are heading off on vacation.  This is not personal but rather a general statement about their aim to distance themselves mentally from their workplace during their downtime.  Perhaps consider why you felt this was a deliberate, negative slight towards you.  You have chosen to look up to these people and while that may make sense to you, others may not make that same decision.  Perhaps you are looking for deeper connections in your workplace, than desired by others?

His comment just meant that he was looking forward to his holiday and had plans to enjoy himself. All about his holiday. People say stuff like this a lot.

cause he was being rude is why

• Edna

You wouldn't know if he was being rude or not  Pearl, because you have told us many times that you don't have a job

Your supervisor at your previous job felt you were stalking him. Now you're trying to guilt your present supervisor into feeling bad about being away.

It's evident you're mildly obsessed in an unhealthy way with your bosses. Leave them alone: you have your own life.

• L

Honestly snow flake?  Your Supervisor was being TRUTHFUL.  If your skin is too thing to accept the truth.............then go find an empty island and live there by yourself.

Two months ago you were working at McDonald's. My, you certainly get around.

• Foofa

Your coworkers are just people who by fate have ended up alongside you on a daily basis. They're not your friends nor your family and they're entitled to take a vacation away from you.

It sounds as though you have a rather low-level job, where your supervisor (or "manager") is only a few steps above your own position.

In situations like that, supervisors discourage friendliness from the people they supervise. So it would probably be better if you stayed objective and impersonal.