Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

I need advice about my sister?

I am a 22 year old lesbian and live with my 21 year old girlfriend. We have been living together for 2 years and are very happy and love each other. We live in a nice 1 bedroom appartment it is enough room for us since we sleep together everynight. My parents accept that I am a lesbian and are happy for us. My 20 year old sister will no longer talk to me. I found out she is pregnant she is married and I called her to say how happy I was and she said never call me again. You willl not see our child. I am heartbroken my sister and I were so close growing up but she disowned me when I moved in with my girlfriend.

Favorite Answer

I understand why you're heartbroken, but you'll feel better if you get out of that stage and into anger.  People are allowed to think what they want about gays/lesbians, but there is never an excuse for the cruelty and rudeness she displayed towards you. 

Also, something totally random!  I have many lesbian friends, and one thing I've noticed is lesbians seem to have much better "intuition" when it comes to partners.  They meet one night, become joined at the hip, and 20 years later they're still married and still happy.  I mention this because both of you are very young to be living with a partner, but your odds of success are much higher than hers.  In fact, statistically speaking, being married and pregnant at 20 usually ends in disaster.  She's going to run into some tough times and that's when I'd expect her to reach out.  I really hope when she does this you ignore her, at least initially.  This isn't being mean or passive aggressive, nor would it be permanent.  You're just teaching her that words matter and some of them cannot be taken back.

• Lucy2 months agoReport

Thank you for answering.  Me and my girlfriend really love each other and are so happy to be living together and sleeping together everynight.  We are getting married soon and are looking forward to spending the rest of out lives together. 

Your sister is probably a ******* loser for getting pregnant so young without any financial security.

I would tell my parents that "I have no evil or ill will against (sister's name). A woman never had a better sister than her. I just hope whatever she has against me could be put aside for family's sake."  Extend the olive branch. There's not more you could do other than be the bigger person and see if she ever grows up and move past her closed mindedness.

not much you can do but pray she changes her mind

• Ann

You cannot control what other people do or say. It's sad that your sister is behaving this way, but if you and your girlfriend are happy and intend to spend your lives together, maybe you can find some comfort in that. Also, you said that your parents accept your lifestyle, so that is another source of comfort. All you can do is hope that when your sister's child is old enough to be independent, he or she will choose to meet you. You understand that it will be around 19 years from now.

family is not by choice, 

you need to grow up and accept the situation with your sister... ask you mom not to pass on information about the two of you to the other -- say nothing 

you say your mom and dad accept your being a lesbian GREAT !

yet you refuse to accept your sister is of another choice ?

your lack of acceptance of the results of your choice is as equally bigoted as your sisters is 

I did not speak to my family for most of 20 years,,, after I did I kept it was only chordal , but my brother who took advantage of everyone I did not speak to for about 6 years as he drank him self to death in self pity after he stole money from mom and my self in separate incidents and never accepted his problems 

while you are making a lesbian statement of desire acceptance as normal not a choice .... you want to impose your will on others while refusing the will of others 

separate be happy and live your life not other peoples lives 

Some people just can't get over their biases, but it is a very good thing that your parents are accepting and supportive. If I were you, I would send her a little note every few months saying how much you miss her, happy birthday, thinking of you, happy thanksgiving etc. People do change and maybe some year she will overcome her prejudice.

• God

I think I would consult your parents.  I'm sure they have talked to your sister about this.  Your parents may be able to mediate a truce or at least point you in the right direction.

You want her to accept you, but you don't accept her attitude. Good luck.

Advice about what? You didn't say what kind of advice you want or need. If she does not want anything to do with you then there is not much you can do about it. Life goes on so go on with your life. The way she lives her life without you in it is her decision/problem.